Who we are
The European Federation for Intercultural Learning (EFIL) is an European volunteer-based non-profit organisation contributing to peace and justice in a diverse world threatened by inequity and intolerance, by promoting intercultural understanding and sensitivity among European and other countries, organisations and citizens, hereby endorsing the ends of AFS Intercultural Programs.
EFIL actively helps its Members to operate within the European environment and to develop their organisations in order to ultimately support and implement the AFS Mission and Strategic Plan.
European Federation for Intercultural Learning (EFIL)
Avenue des Arts 7-8
undertake all necessary technical and organisational measures to ensure comprehensive data protection.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
Automatically collected usage data
Every time one of EFIL’s website is used, “usage data” is recorded in server log files, as is common on the internet. This log file information is automatically transmitted by your internet browser. This includes the following data:
- The IP address of the computer from which the EFIL website is accessed;
- The Internet address of the website from which a visitor was sent to the EFIL website (so-called origin or referrer URL);
- The Name of the retrieved files or information;
- The Date and time as well as duration of the retrieval;
- The amount of transferred data;
- The Operating system and information about the internet browser of the computer accessing the EFIL website.
Information in Log files of the above kind is stored by EFIL for security reasons (e.g. for the identification of attack attempts) and to find and remove errors from the EFIL website for a maximum of 12 months, depending on the number of hits and then deleted (except for data where further storage is required for evidence purposes).
Information in Log files may in individual cases be forwarded to investigative authorities.
Cookies & Tracking
Two different types of cookies are used on EFIL websites.
The first one is issued directly by the site and is limited to our websites only. These cookies are not designed to follow you when traveling on the Internet after leaving EFIL/AFS-owned websites. We track the usage of our websites in order to better meet your needs and to help make it easier for you to find information in the future. The second type of cookies is issued by third parties. We are using Google (Analytics, Maps, Calendar, …), MailChimp, Typkit, Twitter, lightwidget, and Instagram widgets that might issue cookies.
If you would prefer not to have the set cookies, your Internet browser can be adjusted to treat cookies in different ways. Depending upon the type of browser you are using, you may be able to configure your browser so that: (i) you are prompted to accept or reject cookies on an individual basis or (ii) you may be able to prevent your browser from accepting any cookies at all. You should refer to the supplier or manufacturer of your web browser for specific details about cookie security.
EFIL also uses invisible pixels, sometimes called web beacons, to count how many people visit certain web pages. Information collected from invisible pixels is used and reported in the aggregate and does not contain PII. AFS may use this information to improve programs and content.
EFIL collects personal data through webforms used for
- Contacting EFIL
- Signing up for a Newsletter
- Registering for an EFIL event
EFIL will always specify the use of the data as part of the form and will ask for your consent to process the information.
Links to Third-Party Websites
EFIL may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. EFIL is not responsible or liable for any content presented by or contained on any independent website, including, but not limited to, any advertising claims or marketing practices.
Please note that while EFIL will protect your information on EFIL-owned and operated websites, we cannot control and will not be responsible for the privacy policies of third-party websites, including websites owned or controlled by independent third parties. Third-party websites that are accessed through links on our websites have separate privacy and data collection practices, and security measures. We have no responsibility or liability for the practices, policies and security measures implemented by third parties on their websites. We encourage you to contact them to ask questions about their privacy practices, policies and security measures. We recommend that you review the privacy statements and policies of linked websites to understand how those websites collect, use and store information.
Embedded content from other websites
Pages on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
Data collected through webforms will only be shared in as far as it is absolutely needed to perform the service it was collected for. EFIL will never sell your data to third parties.
If registering for an EFIL event your information might need to be shared with:
- Selected Partners providing logistical support for the event.
- EFIL Volunteers running the event.
- Service providers such as Hotels, Venues, Transport providers, institution/museum visits etc.
- The funder of the event for reporting
If signing up for a newsletter:
- EFIL will only share your information with the service provider used to sending out the newsletter.
If answering to a survey:
- EFIL runs research projects with third parties (other NGOs, Universities). EFIL will only share the information which is not personal data.
How long we retain your data
If registering for an EFIL event:
- We will delete all personal information one month after the event and only keep:
- Fullname, Email, and the information on the event somebody participated in permanently in order to certify your participation and for reporting.
- We will only use this information to contact you, if explicit consent has been given by you.
- You have the right to be informed about the data kept on you, to correct inaccurate personal data, and to request for your data to be deleted by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If signing up for a newsletter:
- An email will be sent to you specifying the process to change your data or remove yourself from the list. This information will also be available in any email sent out through the list.
- Your information will be kept until you unsubscribe from the newsletter. You can always unsubscribe from a newsletter useing the link in the email or by sending an email to email@example.com.